Tuesday 20 September 2011

Kernel panic after upgrade

Some weeks ago after pacman -Syu my system did not boot at all.

It said something like "modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/.../modules.dep: No such file or directory."

After a hard work of recovery described in the Kernel Panics Arch Wiki and rebooting my system all went fine but upgrading the system again caused the same error.

After some hours of panicking I found the solution here:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=96794

My /boot partition was not mounted when I upgraded my kernel, so the upgrade process could not copy the appropriate files to this area. Instead it created a separate /boot directory under my mounted root filesystem. The system wanted to boot from the /boot partition but the upgraded kernel was not there.

I propose two solutions (I chose No. 2):

1. If you keep your /boot partition unmounted and you see thet pacman wants to upgrade your kernel then stop the upgrade process, mount your /boot partition and start the upgrade in this state.

2. If you do not want to take care of manual mounting then add a line to your /etc/fstab to mount your /boot partition automatically.

And another suggestion:
Keep an Arch Linux installation medium on a usb stick, it can be very handy to have one at panic time... I wish that you do not need to use it ever though!

No comments:

Post a Comment